Fire & Water

 

I've been learning a lot of lessons from the water lilies at the pond... 
About two weeks ago, the barn here at Occidental Arts and Ecology Center burned down. Gratefully, all the people and animals are safe, but it was an extremely shocking and fear-inducing event. I can feel my body and mind coming back to equilibrium, much in part thanks to the incredible love of community near and far, writing, movement, and spending time in nature. 

In this time of global fear and healing, the water lilies have a lot to teach. They are connected to one another by an extraordinary web of underwater roots. From the surface it looks like each flower and lily pad is disconnected, but they all share nutrients from the same root system.

I watch as the lily flowers sit on the water surface, opening and closing with the sun. They have mastered the art of balance, knowing when to protect themselves from the elements, and when to spread their petals broadly. 
I have been reflecting on my own need to go within in order to process my emotions of grief for Covid, the barn, and missing family and friends. I have been learning to draw from my roots and from my personal strength in trying times.

I have also seen the importance of drawing on the collective resources of our community root system- the phone calls, letters, fundraisers, sharing, and prayers that physically and emotionally support us all. 

Finally, I have learned the importance of opening my arms wide to the sun & embrace moments of joy when they arrive:  watching sunflower seeds sprout, giving a gift, or even laughing at the absurdity of breaking another glass. 
I love how every single day, I get to witness the rebirth of the lilies. Every day, they re-emerge, both soaking up energy from the sun and offering their beauty. 

It's made me think about what I offer to the world. And also helped me see that the more we open ourselves up, the more we receive back. 

I still feel fear and grief and homesickness at times. But I have also never felt so certain of how much people show up for one another in times of challenge. 
This week, I encourage you to find that balance between inward reflection and outward connection. What are the ways you can nourish yourself? What are the ways you can nourish others?

If there's some way I can support you please reach out!!!

Here are some of my favorite little inspirational tidbits from the week: 
Water is so important! We are all connected.
An amazing short video on re-imagining the future. 
Finally, a beautiful word I recently learned: 
So much love!! Abbey <3