Move to Occidental- January, 2020

 

Hello wonderful friends and family!
Abbey here. I decided to create an every-so-often email newsletter to send life updates, inspiration, and photos. I hope this is a way we can keep in touch and you can send me back whatever is inspiring you right now.

Life update #1: 

I moved to the Occidental Arts and Ecology Center (OAEC) in Sonoma, CA this past month! OAEC is a 25-year-old center for sustainable agriculture and environmental activism. I'm working as a host for activist groups that come to strategize and enjoy the beautiful garden, meeting spaces, and trails. I've also been helping plant strawberries, asparagus, and other beauties in the garden, teaching yoga, and working in the farm-to-table kitchen. I live in a sweet cabin with a wood burning stove nestled in a forest of Redwoods and California Live Oak trees. 

You can learn more about OAEC here!
Transitioning to a new place and being cross country from my family and many close friends was tough at first and I definitely miss my NC roots. But I am overwhelmed with gratitude to be here. I feel so healed by breathing the fresh air, eating straight-from-the-garden food, digging my hands in the soil, and being part of this loving community. 

I am learning what it feels like to live fully. I feel my work is purposeful and engaged with the transition the world needs right now. There is so much political and environmental instability, we need to imagine and live out a future we want to be part of. I imagine a future full of natural spaces to explore, art and creative expression, community meals and living, movement and dance incorporated into our day to day, and food rich with life. 
Before arriving at OAEC, I had no idea how much of my identity rests in being independent. I tend to have a few-strings-attached mentality and like to think I can do it "all on my own". From getting myself where I need to be, to working on projects, to traveling, I often go at it solo. Until being out here really on my own and without a car, I didn't realize how much I lean on community for support.

In mainstream US culture, we are taught not to ask for help, not to seem weak, and not to be a burden on others. Since being here, I've had to ask for help CONSTANTLY. "Hey, can you drive me to the grocery store?" "Hey, I have no idea how to get wood for my wood burning stove". While I felt super awkward at first, I am realizing people generally enjoy helping each other out, and I'm making close friends by hopping in many a car ride with co-workers. I realize I was never really alone before either. There are always people there to keep me company, make sure I'm fed and have everything I need, make sure spaces around me are clean and beautiful, and ensure light, water, food, electricity, etc. are available. We are so dependent on one another!

So a challenge for the week- ask for something you need or invite yourself to something even if it makes you feel awkward and uncomfortable. Shamelessly inviting myself along has brought me to many a random hike, art event, mosaic-building project, and concert these past few weeks.